Short Story Anthology 2018
Closing date: 30 September 2017 at 16:00
The very well received SU Woordfees short story anthology is entering into its third year with the 2018 publication. The prize money of R30,000 will be sponsored by Du Toitskloof Wines.
And KYKNET will produce one of the published stories as a short film for broadcast.
Writers who will be included in the next anthology will be notified early in 2018. The winning short story will only be announced at the launch of the book, which will be held during SU Woordfees 2018, from 2-11 March. As in 2017, writers who have yet to be published, may also participate.
The anthology has a limited print run and initially it will only be for sale at the SU Woordfees in 2018. Should there be any copies left, they will be made available at selected bookshops and also at the 2019 festival.
Details for entry
- Only short stories in Afrikaans will be taken into consideration.
- The competition is open to all South African writers. Employees and family members of Du Toitskloof Wines and the SU Woordfees are not allowed to enter.
- Only one entry of 1 500 – 3 000 words per person is allowed.
- Stories must be newly penned and not have been published on any platform previously.
- The writers whose stories are selected for to be included in the anthology will each receive a once-off amount of R4 000 by April 2018.
- The anthology will include 20 stories.
- The writer of the winning story will receive prize-money to the value of R30 000.
- Copyright of the stories remains with the writers but copyright of the anthology will reside with the SU Woordfees. If stories included in the anthology are also published elsewhere, the SU Woordfees must be notified in writing. The SU Woordfees must also be acknowledged in print when the story is published.
- Entries that have not been included in the anthology can, at the discretion of the SU Woordfees, be published elsewhere without the SU Woordfees or Du Toitskloof Wines being responsible for any form of compensation. The writer who has been identified as the author retains copyright of the story.
- Copyright of translated stories must be agreed upon by the writer and translator. The SU Woordfees will communicate only with the writer of the story.
- Judging is done anonymously. The name of the writer (and translator) as well as contact details must be included in the entry form below. Only the title of the story must appear on the story, not the name of the author.
- Stories must be typed in 12pt Time New Roman and 1.5 spacing in MS Word format. Each page must be numbered and clearly display the title of the story.
- If a story contains any blatant obvious references to the writer which will enable the selectors to identify the writer, the story will be disqualified.
- Stories will be edited before publication, with agreement of the writer.
Download template for application form here: Download document
Send entries via e-mail to Pieter Eksteen at email@example.com. No questions regarding the competition sent to this account will be answered. Entries received after 16:00 on 30 September 2017 will not be considered eligible for the competition. All entries will receive an acknowledgement of receipt .
E-mail with enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only written enquiries will be answered.